Sunday, January 31, 2010

Get ready to lick the bowl clean

When I made my New Year's resolution -- a renewed commitment to blogging -- I had thousands of ideas in my head. The theme one, though, I wasn't as sure about. But now that I've done it for a month (with some other recipes thrown in, as well), I'm glad I tried it. I've got themes lined up for at least the next few months, and some thrown in toward the end of the year, too. I hope you'll stick with me. I promise to do my best to make it interesting!


So, as I contemplated all these soup recipes, I started to ask myself, "Which of these is my favorite?" The golden winter soup -- the first one I shared -- is absolutely exquisite. And my love for Middle Eastern food is definitely sated by the Moroccan lamb and couscous soup. In fact, they're all favorites, so that's I wanted to share them.

This last one is a favorite soup at my house. We don't make it often; when we do, Aaron and I always tell each other that we'll make it again soon. This one is so hearty. And it makes the house smell so good. With this recipe, I'll end January on a high note.

This recipe is from a 2002 issue of Cooking Light magazine.

Baked potato soup

4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1 cup (4 oz.) reduced-fat shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Pierce potatoes with a fork; baked at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Peel potatoes coarsely mash. Discard skins.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly, about 8 minutes. Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.

Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated -- do not boil. Sprinkle each serving with cheese, onions and bacon.

Serves 8.

Cook's notes: I make this with fat-free milk, and it turns out beautifully. However, don't substitute fat-free sour cream for the reduced-fat version, as the fat-free sour cream usually separates.

No comments:

Post a Comment