Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Celebrating a taste of Asia

To mark February's arrival, I decided to share some favorite Asian and Asian-inspired dishes. What a great way to mark the start of the lunar new year! While, like many, I love Chinese food, I don't want to limit myself to the cuisine of one nation. So, expect recipes with the flavors of Japan, Thailand, Vietnam and South Korea.


But before I offer my first recipe, I wanted to offer some ingredients that make up a great Asian pantry. Here are some of the most important ones:

-- Soy sauce. Obviously.


-- Oils. Save the extra-virgin olive oil for another time. For Asian cuisine, there's two classic choices: peanut and sesame. Peanut has a great flavor -- and a high smoking point, which makes it ideal for stir-fry. Toasted sesame has a very distinct flavor, and many people like it in salads. I am OK with it, but in very small amounts.


-- Ginger. I think it adds such an incredible depth and subtle heat to Asian foods. While most recipes call for grating fresh ginger, I buy small jars of preminced ginger and keep them in my fridge. That way, I always have some on hand, and I don't waste ginger root that's gone bad.


-- Garlic. Like ginger, it provides a great savoriness to most dishes. And again, I keep a jar of prechopped garlic in the fridge.


-- Hoisin sauce. This is kind of like Chinese barbecue sauce. It's very richly flavored, and a little goes a long way.


-- Lemongrass. It's a stalk that can be found in the produce section. I love the citrus, herbal flavor. Do not skip this!


-- Rice. Another obvious one. There's many varieties out there, so explore and find one you really enjoy. We prefer jasmine and basmati (preferably brown) types at our house.


-- Noodles. Lots of varieties. All of them fantastic. Some of my favorites include udon, soba, somen and rice.


-- Fish and oyster sauces. While they are not for me, they are traditional Asian ingredients. Like many others, they are very strongly flavored, so again a little goes a long way.


-- Fresh herbs. Basil, cilantro and mint are widely used. I'll skip the cilantro, but I won't miss the others.


-- Peanut butter. This may sound strange, but it's a requisite for peanut sauce. It also tastes great in salad dressings.


-- Vegetables. OK, you likely will keep these in a refrigerator rather than a pantry. But they are absolutely essential to great Asian cooking. Some of my favorites include: carrots, bok choy, pea pods, celery, mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, spinach, daikon radish and edamame.


-- Wasabi. The traditional green Japanese horseradish is a requisite for those who love sushi and Japanese food. It's too spicy for my tastes.


There's certainly others I've missed. If there's an Asian market near you, go check it out. In Concord, the 99 Ranch Market at the Park and Shop is fantastic. Emma and I spent an hour there one Sunday morning, loading up on tons of tasty treats.


So, here's hoping this list is inspiring you to whip up something delightfully Asian. My first recipe is a classic Chinese dish, one that's been a favorite for years.


This recipe is from a 2005 issue of Cooking Light magazine


Kung pao chicken


1 tbsp. canola oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 tbsp. ground fresh ginger, divided
2 tbsp. water
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. coarsely chopped salted peanuts


Heat 1 tsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and 2 tsp. ginger to pan; saute 1 minute. Add water. Cover; cook 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove broccoli from pan; keep warm.


Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in pan; add remaining 1 tsp. ginger, crushed red pepper flakes and chicken. Cook 4 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned, stirring frequently.


Combine broth, hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and garlic in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; cook 1 minute or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Return broccoli mixture to pan; toss to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts.


Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment