Thursday, February 25, 2010

Celebrating a childhood favorite

One of my husband's favorite dishes from when he was a youth was sukiyaki. It's a wonderful Japanese dish, made of thinly sliced beef and lots of vegetables. Served with a sweet yet salty sauce and a bowl of rice, I understand why my husband loves it so much.

We hadn't had sukiyaki in years until I had it about a year ago during a trip to visit family in Texas. We went to a Japanese steakhouse, and as soon as I saw it on the menu I knew I had to have it. The best part -- my daughter had as much of it as I did!

We had a recipe we loved -- it was from an old Betty Crocker cookbook -- but lost it. So I did some searching online and found this one on Food Network's Web site. It's easy, delicious and can be adapted to suit your tastes.

Sukiyaki

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. sugar
1 cup beef stock
1/4 cup mirin
1 lb. thinly sliced beef
1/4 cup sugar
4 oz. yam noodles (shirataki)
2 medium onions, sliced
1 cup bamboo shoots, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 pkg. tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 bunch green onions, chopped into 2-inch pieces
2 leaves Napa cabbage, sliced
2 tbsp. oil

Mix soy sauce, 2 tbsp. sugar, stock and mirin together in a large bowl. Arrange meat and vegetables on a large platter. Heat electric skillet to 375 degrees.

Add oil to the skillet and heat. Brown meat in the oil, adding sugar slowly. Move meat to the corner of the skillet when well browned. Add other vegetables, keeping each separate. Add sauce and cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover and stir all ingredients, and cook 2 more minutes. Serve.

Serves 3 to 4

Cook's notes: I usually don't add noodles, as I serve the sukiyaki over rice to sop up all the sauce. I add a few more vegetables to make up for it. Spinach would make a great substitute for the cabbage, and water chestnuts would make a great addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment