Monday, February 8, 2010

Slurp this one up

Sorry, friends, for my absence for the past few days. That darn cold I'd been trying to avoid caught me. But I'm better now, thanks, so ... back to some good eats.

One of my very favorite things to eat is pasta. In Asian culture, they're called noodles. Either way, I am carb crazy. This dish combines so many of my favorite Asian flavors, then chills them. It's another one I don't make often, but my family absolutely loves it.

Here's hoping you'll slurp up these delicious noodles!

This recipe is one I clipped from a newspaper (I don't have the date or paper, though).

Cold sesame noodles with grilled chicken

1/4 cup soy sauce
3 1/2 tbsp. sesame oil
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 lb. fettuccine or other thin noodle
Salt
Red pepper flakes
8 oz. fresh snow peas, sliced in half
2 green onions, cut into thin diagonal slices
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp. canola oil
1 1/2 cups cucumber, thinly sliced
1 carrot, cut into thin shreds about 1-inch long

In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut butter, water, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and ginger until well combined. Set aside.

Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain and immediately toss with the soy sauce-sesame oil mixture. Season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Add snow peas and green onions and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold.

On a large plate, drizzle the chicken with canola oil, turning to coat. Season with salt and red pepper flakes. Grill the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until cooked through. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin, diagonal slices.

To serve, mound the noodles on a large serving platter. Surround with the cucumber and carrot, and then with the chicken.

Cook's notes: I like to sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds on the top of this, for a little added sesame flavor and for texture. I also tend to go a little crazy on the vegetables and ease up on the chicken. This doesn't last very long in the fridge, so it's best within the first day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment