Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yeah, it's a bit cheesy

Mmmmm, broccoli! Who doesn't love broccoli? It's one of my very favorite vegetables, full of fiber and dozens of nutrients. It's low in fat and calories, so it's a natural for those looking to eat healthy.

I love broccoli in all sorts of different dishes. Salads and stir-fries are my favorite, but I even like it raw just as a snack. But my favorite dish is broccoli cheese soup. This one has troubled me for a while. It's so delicious, but it isn't very healthy. So, of course I was thrilled when I came across this one -- except for one small thing. It's made with Velveeta. Is there any food product out there nowadays that people make fun of more than Velveeta?

But the author of the article made a a great point. Velveeta melts beautifully, without getting all clumpy or greasy. And, it can really taste good in recipes. Hmmm. I rethought my Velveeta hang-up and decided to give this recipe a chance. I was surprised how much I loved it. Here's hoping you will, too!

This recipe is from a 2002 issue of Cooking Light.

Broccoli and cheese soup

Cooking spray
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
16 oz. fresh broccoli florets
2 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light), cubed

Heat large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add broth and broccoli. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes.

Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add milk mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until it melts.

Place 1/3 of the soup into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Return soup to pan, warm until thoroughly heated.

Serves 6.

Cook's notes: I like to use my immersion blender, making the entire batch of soup smooth. I have substituted 2 or 3 celery stalks for the onion, and it turned out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment