Friday, January 15, 2010

It's snack time -- egg-cellent!


Several months ago, someone at a Weight Watchers meeting offered up a great tip -- have a carton of hard-boiled eggs in the fridge. They're healthy and relatively low in fat and calories, especially if you only eat the whites. If I want, I can use them to make a quick egg salad for sandwiches. Another plus for me -- they're easy to make, and my daughter loves them as much as I do. The bad -- they never last long in my fridge!

For a while, I was buying Egg Beaters and some other egg substitutes. But they're expensive. And unless I want an omelet or scrambled eggs, there's no other way to eat them as just eggs. So I've returned to the whole egg. I always -- yes, always -- choose organic, cage-free eggs. There truly is a flavor difference. And while they are more expensive, I find that the health benefits of organic are worth the extra pennies.

Ahh yes, there it is. Easy to make. Easy to store. Delicious. Healthy. Some of my favorite factors for picking a snack.

This recipe, from the book "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook," is the best one I've found for hard-boiled eggs.

Hard-boiled eggs

6 eggs
Salt

Bring the eggs, 1 tbsp. salt and 2 quarts of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. As soon as the water reaches a boil, remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let sit for exactly 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of ice water. Transfer the eggs to the ice water and let cool for 5 minutes.

Cook's notes: This recipe can be doubled easily. Just use a Dutch oven in place of a saucepan.

No comments:

Post a Comment