Monday, January 18, 2010

A solution for my sweet tooth


I have discovered that, as much as I love to cook, I love to bake even more. For a long time, I was baking not-so-healthy treats. I made dozens and dozens of cookies, cakes, muffins, pies -- if it was sweet and it came from my oven, I wanted to try to make it.

I have been able to curb that desire, but I refuse to ever give it up in my efforts to eat healthy. And yes, healthier foods usually aren't as delicious. But the other day, I steeled my will to make a better choice for myself.

Aaron, Emma and I went out for lunch after Emma finished at school for the week. We had a coupon for a free dessert, and they decided that they wanted a big piece of chocolate cake. I didn't even half a second to know that the cake was awful for me, filled with fat and sugar and calories. But I still wanted a treat. And I wanted cake, too.

So when we got home, I dug out my cookbooks. I had a specific kind of cake in mind -- pound cake. I wanted something with a little more heft than angel food cake, and I didn't want something smothered in sugary icing. Pound cake was what I wanted, and I found a great low-fat recipe that didn't disappoint. I loved it not only because it was delicious, but I had all the ingredients on hand in my refrigerator and pantry.

Perfect -- a sweet, healthy treat that was a piece of cake!

This recipe is from a 2008 issue of Cooking Light magazine.

Butter Rum Pound Cake

Cake:
Cooking spray
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tbsp. spiced rum (such as Captain Morgan's)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To prepare cake, coat an 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 tbsp. flour

Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stirring with a whisk until blended.

Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1/2 cup rum alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Run a knife around edges of pan; remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, combined powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tbsp. rum, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cake.

Serves 12.

Cook's notes: I don't usually cook with alcohol, but I used 1/4 cup rum and 1/4 cup apple cider. It was pretty good, but I probably would go with all apple cider next time. I also went without the glaze; I found the cake plenty sweet without the topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment