Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Pantry staples: Baked potato chips

In my quest to eat healthier, I've discovered many things. First, some things are easier to give up than others. Candy bars, for instance. For others, I've found some really good substitutes. For instance, when I crave some carbohydrates, I go for some Triscuit crackers. In addition, I'm learning to like low-fat cheeses and have embraced fat-free yogurt for when I want dairy.

One treat I've had a tougher time with is potato chips. When "fat-free" chips came out about 10 or 12 years ago, I rushed out to get some immediately. I quickly discovered that olestra, the magical ingredient in them, gave me horrible stomach cramps.

A few years after that, I discovered baked chips. They were just OK. I liked the saltiness, but the crunch wasn't the same. Tortilla chips were even worse. I didn't want to give the chips up, but downing a huge bag in one sitting was not an option, either.

Since then, I've found a few palatable options. Here's my suggestions for those who want a healthier potato chip option.

The top-shelf choice: Kettle Brand Baked Potato Chips. These are my absolute favorites. The first time I served them to Aaron, he was convinced they were the real deal, not baked. They come in a variety of flavors. I haven't tried all of them (I can't wait to find the salt and vinegar), but I adore the lightly salted. But my very favorite are the hickory honey barbecue. In addition, the serving size is great. In one serving, I get 20 chips! That's huge! Plus, they're high in fiber. I've found these at Safeway and Trader Joe's. They are much more expensive at Safeway (about $5 vs. less than $3 for the same size bag), so seek them at your nearest TJ's.

Don't rule them out: Baked Lay's and Ruffles. They're still salty. And crunchy. And they have a great selection of flavors (I prefer the Ruffles cheddar and sour cream, as well as the Lays southwestern ranch). But the texture isn't as good as the Kettle chips. They clearly look and taste like a baked chip. And there's fewer of them in a serving (usually about 12 to 14). I find them at most grocery stores, as well as at most sandwich shops. In addition, they're usually pretty reasonably priced (about $4 or so, but often they can be found on sale). With a turkey sandwich and a good dill pickle, Baked Lay's round out a nice, yummy, low-fat lunch.

If you gotta have something now: Pringles Reduced Fat. These chips certainly taste like full-fat chips. That's because they have the most fat of the chips I like (7 grams of fat vs. 2 grams for Kettle, and 2-4 grams for Baked Lay's). They look just like the originals, too. Also, they have a variety of flavors. But after sticking with baked for a while, the appeal of these chips have worn off. In a serving, I get 16 chips -- a decent size portion. And they, too, are widely available at most supermarkets at a reasonable price (about $4, but often found on sale). However, this is my last choice for a salty, crunchy snack.

1 comment:

  1. You should try making some yourself! I know it can be done. No, of course, I haven't done it! :)
    -- Michele

    ReplyDelete