Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Neither rain nor sleet ... well, you know the rest

Another Tuesday morning, and I spent it -- where else? -- at the farmers market in Concord. After an inspiring Weight Watchers meeting, I find it is the best place to head to get all those healthy fruits and veggies to keep me on track.

It was pouring when I arrived today, and I immediately noticed that there were few vendors. These are the days that bum me out the most -- a small selection, and often many of my favorite stands aren't there. Not today. The market was small but plentiful. I picked up some incredible carrots, brussels sprouts and radishes at my favorite vegetable stand. And my daughter's favorite apple stand -- the one that offers her a sample (or two) of cider -- had lots of gorgeous pink lady and Granny Smith apples.

I said hello to a few other vendors, and stopped for a sample at Bolani, an Afghan food stand. The two young men who run it are always very friendly and generous with their samples. After three huge tastes, including lentil curry, roasted eggplant pesto, hummus and sweet jalapeno jelly, I thanked them and went on my way. But I couldn't forget about how delicious the samples were. After I loaded all my purchases in my car, I decided to circle the block and go back to buy a few things. I certainly have bought from them before, but they're not an every week stop. But today, the weather or the kindness, or whatever it was, inspired me to spend on some delicacies.

I went for the lentil curry, sun-dried tomato pesto and a loaf of bread. They're totally delicious, and the proprietors list the health benefits on the containers -- what a surprise! They're food is very low in fat and calories, and they even list the serving size. Score!

I highly recommend you check out Bolani's Web site. There are lots of delicious goodies to purchase. Or if you're in the neighborhood on Tuesday mornings, check out the Concord farmers market. I promise you, they'll offer you a delicious sample (or two or three).

Today I'm offering a version of sun-dried tomato pesto. It's more Italian in origin, but it's so easy and quick. Most importantly, it's incredibly delicious. This dish is one of my family's favorites!

This is from Season 5 of the America's Test Kitchen television series.

Pasta with arugula, goat cheese and sun-dried tomato pesto

1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (one 8 1/2-ounce jar), drained, rinsed, patted dry and chopped very coarsely
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted in a small dry skillet over medium heat
1 small clove of garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1/2 tsp.)
3/4 oz. grated Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
Salt
Fresh ground pepper
1 lb. campanelle or farfalle
1 medium bunch argula (about 10 oz.), washed, dried, stemmed and cut into 1-inch lengths (about 6 cups)
3 oz. goat cheese

In food processor, pulse sun-dried tomatoes, oil, walnuts, garlic, Parmesan, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper until smooth, about 15 2-second pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Transfer to small bowl and set aside.

Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil, covered, in stockpot. Stir in pasta and 1 tbsp. salt; cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking water, and return pasta to stockpot; immediately stir in arugula until wilted. Stir pasta-cooking water into pesto; stir pesto into pasta. Serve immediately, dotting individual bowls with 1/2-inch pieces of goat cheese.

Cook's notes: To make the pesto healthier, I use only 1 tbsp. of olive oil and replace the other 5 with chicken broth. I also prefer spinach to arugula. One last substitution I prefer is feta cheese rather than goat cheese. I prefer the saltiness of the feta to the creaminess of the goat cheese.

1 comment:

  1. You've made me hungry. I haven't had Thai, Mediterrean, INDIAN, Afghani since getting here. Not because it's not here (although not as prevalently as there), but because the few people I know here have pedestrian taste buds!
    -- Michele

    ReplyDelete