Friday, March 5, 2010

Warm and wonderful

Vegetarian eating requires lots of dedication, and a dose of bravery. One of the toughest parts, I've found, is finding the nerve to try some new foods.

For me, there's some vegetarian staples that I can't stomach, no matter how many times I try. Take tofu. It's so healthy, but it's so bland. No matter how you dress it up, it's just boring and flavorless.

The one food group I've turned to for new flavor ideas is, unsurprisingly, fruit and vegetables. Some are truly wonderful and have become favorites, such as asparagus and brussels sprouts. Others, such as zucchini and summer squash, not so much. One I have absolutely fallen in love with is celeriac. It's also known as celery root, and it's so delicious. I plan on searching for recipes for celeriac salad this summer.

But for now, it's at the heart of a delicious soup I hope you will enjoy as much as I do. In fact, this soup is so simple and delicious, I used to feed it to my daughter instead of baby food when she was first starting to eat solid foods. She loved it even then.

This recipe is from a 2003 issue of Cooking Light magazine.

White velvet soup

4 cups (1/4-inch) diced, peeled celeriac (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
4 cups (1/4-inch) diced, peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
3 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1/3 cup white wine
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup 2 percent reduced-fat milk
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. thinly sliced green onions

Combine celeriac, potatoes, broth, water, thyme and garlic in a large stockpot; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Place half of potato mixture into blender; process until smooth. Repeat with remaining potato mixture. Return pureed potato mixture into pan, stir in wine and salt. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove soup from heat, and stir in milk.

Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; drizzle oil evenly over soup. Sprinkle with onions.

Serves 6

Cook's notes: To make this dish truly vegetarian, you easily could substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. I usually make this without the wine, instead using extra broth with a tablespoon or so of lemon juice or vinegar to add some bite. I also use fat-free milk, and it turns out smooth and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment