Monday, March 1, 2010

A vegetarian feast

Back in the mid-1990s, as a young, impressionable college student, I decided to try a rather shocking way of life -- vegetarianism. It lasted only a few months, but it had many of my friends and family worrying about my health. Even then, the concern seemed ridiculous to me.

However, I discovered that giving up meat led to some killer cravings for hamburgers. In the end, the cravings won out. But I learned some lessons that I still carry with me today. Some of them:

4 Beans are delicious, even without meat.
4 Meat is expensive.
4 Vegetables -- especially fresh ones -- can make a filling meal.

I've also discovered that vegetarianism doesn't mean making meals full of just beans, or lentils, or celery. Salads are an obvious first choice. But pastas and soups also are a great way to go vegetarian, without missing any of the meat.

So, in the spirit of theme months, I decided to make March the vegetarian month. I mostly did it in honor of my Catholic upbringing, and all those no-meat Fridays for Lent. While I'm no longer religious, I like the idea of giving up meat for at least one day a week. It's something Aaron and I have tried to do for a while now, mostly for the health and cost reasons.

So, I promise to offer lots of ideas -- many from around the world -- on how to love the vegetarian way of life.

This first recipe is one of the easiest I have ever found -- EVER! It's Italian in nature, but with a very small amount of effort, this can be on the table in about 45 minutes. We've found that this, with a salad or some roasted vegetables, makes a very filling meal.

This recipe is from a 2006 issue of Bon Appetit magazine.

Mock risotto

4 cups low-salt chicken stock
1 cup water
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 large red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (about 10 oz.)
1/2 cup Asiago cheese (about 1 oz.)

Bring broth and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir 1 minute. Pour 2 1/2 cups broth mixture into rice mixture; bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low; cover pot and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add remaining broth mixture to pot; bring to a boil and stir 1 minute. Reduce heat to low; cover pot and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and stir in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Transfer risotto to bowl and serve.

Serves 6.

Cook's notes: There are tons of ways to add flavors to this risotto. Try experimenting with cheese. A combination of Asiago, blue and gruyere would be delicious. Vegetables are another great way to flavor the risotto. We like peas at our house. Sauteed mushrooms or asparagus, or some sun-dried tomatoes would also be great. For a little added crunch, try some toasted walnuts or almonds. For a traditional risotto Milanese, add a little saffron. This recipe is very amenable to your creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment