Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kitchen favorites: bulgur


I absolutely adore Middle Eastern food. I really cannot get enough of it. I'm trying to incorporate many of the healthier aspects into my family's diet, and I've found that it isn't as hard as I had imagined. Well, except for the lamb. I love, love, love it, but that red meat is so blasted bad for me!

One easy way to get some much-needed fiber in our diets is with bulgur wheat. It's available at some grocery stores and certainly at Middle Eastern markets. (If there's one near you and you've never been, what are you waiting for? Go. Now!) In addition to being high in fiber, it's incredibly low in fat. It is, however, relatively high in calories. But a little can be very filling. The best part, however, is that it is super-easy to cook. Just add some boiling water or chicken broth, then let it stand for 30 minutes to an hour. Done!

Bulgur is used in many applications. My personal favorites are in tabbouleh and kibbeh. Tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern salad full of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and topped with a delicious lemon-olive oil dressing. It certainly can be varied by taste. Some people add lots of vegetables, such as carrots, bell peppers, olives or even artichokes. Lean meats also make a delicious addition. Chicken, for instance, can turn a delicious side dish into a filling lunch.

Kibbeh, for those who know little to nothing about it, is the Lebanese national dish. It's a meat dish, made with ground or finely chopped lamb or beef, bulgur and onion. It can be baked, fried, stewed or raw. It can even be made vegetarian. It is probably my favorite Middle Eastern dish, and I cannot encourage you enough to go find some if you've never had it!

Bulgur is ground three ways: coarse, medium and fine. I prefer medium grind for almost everything I make. Coarse is delicious in salads, but I find it too tough for kibbeh. Bulgur is a great ingredient for storing in a pantry or freezer. It will keep for a long time if it's placed in an airtight container in a cool, dark place.

This recipe I'm suggesting is certainly inspired by tabbouleh. It's a fantastic summer salad. I made it for Father's Day and got compliments from nearly everyone (all except my picky 4-year-old). Try it for yourself. I bet you'll love it!

This recipe is from the July 2009 issue of Cooking Light magazine.

Minty Bulgur Wheat and Peach Salad

2 cups boiling water
1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 cups diced, peeled fresh peach (about 2 medium)
2 cups diced, peeled jicama
1 cup finely minced fresh mint

Combine boiling water and bulgur in a large bowl; let stand for 1 hour or until water is absorbed. Combine juices, oil, honey, salt and pepper, stirring well with a whisk. Add peach, jicama and mint to bulgur; toss to combine. Drizzle dressing mixture over bulgur mixture; toss to coat. Chill 1 hour.

Cook's notes: This recipe can be made a day ahead; if you do, I suggest adding a squeeze or two of juice, or a drizzle of oil, if not another batch of the dressing. The bulgur sops up all the liquid as it sits, so it can be dry. If you don't like (or can't find) jicama, cucumbers or celery might be a good substitute. Celery has that great crunch, but the flavor is a bit more pronounced. Cucumber has the more mellow flavor, but the crunch isn't the same. I would also suggest experimenting with summer fruits. Apricots would be particularly delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment