Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Adaptations, part 1


You can call it coriander, or Chinese parsley. Whatever its name, I cannot get around what one of my newspaper colleagues calls "that devil weed." However, that doesn't mean I disregard a recipe just because it calls for cilantro. In fact, I often relish the challenge it presents.

Cilantro, like most herbs, offers a fresh hit of flavor to many dishes. Just leaving an herb out, though, would take away that freshness from a dish. So, depending on what you are making, I consider a different herb. A straight swap of Italian parsley is nice. However, parsley isn't quite enough. For instance, if I'm making something Italian, a little bit of fresh oregano or basil would be a nice touch. If the dish is more Asian in flavor, I might select some basil or mint. Middle Eastern food also is good with mint. There are some herbs, though, that I am more hesitant to recommend. Tarragon and thyme are delicious, but on their own they are a bit more delicate and are easily overpowered by other flavors.

I've seen some suggestions that a combination of herbs, such as a mix of basil and mint, can somewhat replicate the freshness of cilantro. I have not tried this, but let me know if you have. I'll report back at a later time.

As you may remember, I'm a picky eater. So, I'm often looking for alternatives to ingredients I don't care for. Take bell peppers, for instance. They make me sick, but I enjoy the crunch they provide. One easy swap I've found is celery. The texture is great, but I can see how some people would miss the flavor that the peppers provide.

One adaptation I've made is for onions. I do not like them raw and just omit them in salads. However, I've grown to tolerate them when cooked. If they are sauteed or softened in sauces, soups or stews, they are often unrecognizable but the flavor they provide is mellow.

I also don't eat fish. Not any kind at all. But I've found this not to be a terribly big problem, either. Some kinds of fish with a mild flavor, such as cod, haddock or shrimp, can easily be replaced with chicken or even turkey. Beef could be substituted for some seafood with stronger flavors, such as tuna and some kinds of salmon.

I don't drink alcohol, and that has posed a cooking challenge from time to time. Often I swap wine or whatever alcohol is called for with chicken broth or water, with a bit of vinegar or lemon juice added for a bit of acidity. For sweet recipes, grape, apple or fresh orange juice, sometimes with a splash of vinegar or lemon juice for acidity, can make a nice swap.

These are just a few ideas I have for substitutions. Part 2 will deal with ways to make healthier swaps.

This recipe is a salad recipe in which I swapped fresh basil for cilantro. I also have swapped cucumber or celery for the raw onion. It's from an issue of Bon Appetit magazine.

Corn and Tomato Salad with Cilantro Dressing

3 cups fresh corn kernels (cut from about 6 small ears of corn)
5 medium tomatoes, halved, seeded and chopped
2/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. golden brown sugar, packed
1 garlic clove
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper

Combine corn, tomatoes and onion in a large bowl. In a blender, puree oil, cilantro mint, vinegar, lime juice, sugar and garlic until smooth. Pour dressing over corn mixture just before serving.


This recipe is a seafood recipe in which I've substituted chicken for the shrimp. It's from an issue of Bon Appetit magazine.

Tomato, Bulgur and Shrimp Salad

1 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp. water
3/4 cup bulgur
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
9 oz. cooked, shelled shrimp, diced (about 2 cups)
1 1/4 pounds tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup diced, seeded peeled cucumber
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill

Bring 1 1/2 cups watr to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in bulgur. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand until bulgur is tender, about 40 minutes. Drain well; cool completely.

Whisk oil, lemon juice, garlic and remaining water in large bowl. Add shrimp, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, basil, mint, dill and bulgur; toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment