Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday morning treasure


Shortly after I moved to Concord in 1997, I learned that there was a weekly farmers market just down the street from where I lived. I was very excited. My mom took my sister and me on occasion to the little farmers market in West Fargo, N.D., where I grew up. And when I was in college, my mom took me to another in Fargo. I remember buying a handful of cucumbers and a jar of strawberry-rhubarb jam on that visit in 1996, and I became hooked.

After I first moved here, I remember going only once in a while. To this day, I don't know why. I was always impressed with the produce -- and the prices! I was not making a lot of money, and I could buy a huge bag of fresh oranges for $5. What a deal! I also learned, though, that earlier is better at this market. I remember going a few times about 45 minutes before it closed and finding out all the goodies I wanted were gone.

About five or so years ago, I decided to make the farmers market a regular Tuesday morning errand. I would only need to be there about 20 minutes to get all the goodies I wanted, and then I would have the rest of the morning free. It was an easy habit to get into, and I was amazed at how much I looked forward to the trip.

Shortly after Emma was born, the farmers market became a saving grace. I couldn't wait to get out of the house with this crying baby. No one seemed to flinch when i walked by with a screaming newborn, and that big stroller could hold a ton of fruits and vegetables. Perfect! Since then, it's become an outing. There's a playground at the plaza, and we occasionally go with a neighbor and her little boy so the kids can play together. Emma and I sometimes run into other neighbors and friends at the market, which makes me further appreciate our roots in the community.

Emma and I have discovered that there are certain stands we prefer. She knows exactly which stands she wants to visit for the free samples, and I know which ones offer the best quality produce. I always stop at the stand of the woman who sells only vegetables. Aaron always knows when I buy carrots from her -- he says they always taste better, raw or cooked. When they're in season, I get oranges from the vendor from Fresno -- his are sweeter and juicier than the others. And I have to get Pink Lady apples from the same stand. That vendor offers apples longer than anyone else, Emma loves the cider samples (she tries to get two each week), and best blueberries in the summer come from that stand. In the fall, we visit the stand of the women from Martinez. They offer little pears to the kids, and their French Butter pears are only in season for a few weeks but totally worth the wait.

Plus there's the men from Brentwood who have corn, the woman from near Santa Cruz who sells artichokes, the stand from Hollister that has the most delicious tomatoes year-round, and on and on.

It's not just the produce that keeps me coming back. I adore some of the other goodies up for sale. Like the man from Scotts Valley who sells the best pear and Pecorino ravioli. And the German baker from Walnut Creek. Emma asks every week for kettle corn from the stand on the corner. And the lunches we can get are incredible -- teriyaki, tamales, falafel, vegetarian, French pastries filled with meats and/or vegetables.

My farmers market near-obsession has taken me to others offered nearby. None even come close to the quality that the one in Concord provides. I haven't entirely figured out why.

Until then, if it's Tuesday morning and you need to find me, I'll be at the farmers market.

This recipe takes advantage of all the delicious produce I get at the market, and it's great for my diet. It's from a book from 1999, "Saved by Soup" by Judith Barrett.

Zuppa of farro with tomatoes and spinach

1 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 cups canned diced tomatoes, with their juices
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese (optional)

Heat the oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and broth, and stir in the farro. Bring to a boil reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the saucepan and simmer until the farro is tender and the grains are enlarged and have turned a creamy, light color (about 30 minutes). Stir in the spinach and cook until the spinach is tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with cheese, if desired.

Cook's notes: Farro can be very hard to find, so the author suggests substitute pearl barley. We usually do, and it's delicious. This soup gets very thick after standing or being refrigerated, so you might want to add some water or broth to thin it out. The recipe calls for the vegetables to be chopped finely, but we prefer them in somewhat bigger pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment